Monday, August 3, 2015

Day 11: To Oregon

Today, we got a pretty early start from the truck stop. In the morning we learned something new: Truck stops at 6 or 7 a.m. are the only place where the MENS' bathroom is actually busier than the womens'! That's a first, and I was kind of glad that they got to experience that!
Another factoid Elaine and I learned this trip that we had never known before is than apparently round toilet seats are uncomfortable for guys... Who knew? I was talking about being tired of "squat-pooping" in public toilets (I rarely sit down!), when Ben and Daryl started talking about being tired of the campgrounds' round toilet seats. Due to the male anatomy, we learned, it makes it difficult to have room both in the front and the back. :) I hope that is not TMI for a blog! :)
Anyhow, we drove from Spokane to Ainsworth State Park in the Columbia River Gorge here in Oregon. That part of Washington was very yellow first with prairie and occasional sage brush bushes, and later with wheat fields. It reminded me of the Sting song "Fields of Gold". I wished I had that CD with me, but I did not.



I was so surprised at how dry and yellow, brown, desert-like Oregon looked, too! I always pictured it as much more green, wooded, lush. Apparently, the north-eastern part is not that way, at least not in July! It got suddenly greened shortly before we arrived here at the park, but for several hours of driving along the Columbia River, it was just dry and rocky!






The other thing we did not expect was the heat! It was over 100 degrees in Oregon! We stopped at a scenic overlook point for a first glimpse of Mount Hood. It is a beautiful mountain!



When we got to Ainsworth State Park it was 103 degrees real temperature! We sat around in the camper for a while just waiting for the AC to work enough to get cooled off. Then we headed back out after supper to see some of the famous water falls, Horsetail falls, Multnomah falls, Bridal Veil ... they were all very beautiful! Toward the end, it got a bit too dark to take good photos, but at least it was cooler to hike!



 Look at Alex's blue sneakers in this photo taken straight down from the bridge at Multnomah Falls!

WE had to hike to the Bridal Veil Falls, but they were really beautiful.

 Of course Ben had to be daring again! He made it across and back with out falling!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment